Back to Article List
Home Security Tips For Seniors
Jan 11, 2019 by Ian Bongaardt
While many of today’s criminals have turned to cybercrime, there are still those who go the old school route: burglary. In just the United States there are 2.5 million recorded home invasions, about one every 13 seconds. Seniors are often targeted in particular because of declined physical or mental cognitive function or limited ability to contact family or friends. In fact, most burglaries don’t even occur at night, but when family members are most likely to be at work- between 10am and 3pm. With this in mind we’d like to offer you and your senior a few easy tips to help secure their home.
Home Security Tips:
- Remove tools from the yard: Be sure any tools that may assist a burglar are kept inside and out of view.
- Keep personal information in a safe place: Should your home get broken into, make sure all important information like birth certificates, social security cards, or other sensitive documents are in a safe and secure area.
- Shut the blinds whenever possible: Closing blinds cuts off one of the first and easiest ways a potential burglar can view your loved one’s belongings.
- Keep the doors locked: Even if your senior is in a safe neighborhood, crime can occur anywhere. It is important to ALWAYS lock doors and windows to prevent theft.
- Install a home security system: Burglars will stay away from homes with a security system installed. There are many companies to choose from now, so research is imperative but most will offer you stickers for doors and windows to help deter thieves.
- Don’t advertise travel plans: Never post about travel plans, short or extended, on social media! Letting trusted friends and family know about your travel plans is perfectly fine, but posting on social media should be avoided.
- Request home security advice from the police: If you or your loved one are particularly concerned, you can also have a local police officer come to your home and provide security suggestions.
Comfort Keepers cares about you and your loved one. Our mission is to keep your senior happy, healthy, and secure while being able to maintain independence in their homes. If you’d like to learn more about our interactive approach to caregiving, our caregivers, or would like to schedule your free in home consultation please call us at (267) 293-7434 or visit us online anytime. Our specially trained staff is available 24/7 for you.